SSP 2020/2021
Back to Top
School Search Search

Secondary School Places Allocation (SSPA) System


The SSPA System is divided into two stages: Discretionary Places (DP) and Central Allocation (CA). For the DP stage, all participating secondary schools can reserve not more than 30% of their Secondary 1 places as DP and parents may apply to not more than 2 secondary schools participating in the SSPA System in any districts for their child direct. After the deduction of repeater and discretionary places, the remaining places of a secondary school are used for CA. Of the CA places, 10% are for Unrestricted School Choices and parents may choose a maximum of 3 secondary schools (including secondary schools in the net to which their child belongs) from any school nets for their child. The remaining 90% of CA places are for Restricted School Choices. Parents can choose a maximum of 30 secondary schools from the school net to which their child belongs. Parents may visit the Homepage of the Education Bureau (www.edb.gov.hk) (Select: Home > Education System and Policy > Primary and Secondary School Education > School Places Allocation Systems > Secondary School Places Allocation (SSPA) System) to understand more on the SSPA System.


Discretionary Places

Central Allocation

% of places: not more than 30%
No. of secondary schools one can apply to: not more than 2

Part A: Unrestricted School Choices
No. of secondary schools one can choose: a maximum of 3

Part B: Restricted School Choices
No. of secondary schools one can choose: a maximum of 30

The Education Bureau and other organisations hold seminars every year on the SSPA System in which experts are invited to share their views on strategies in making school choices. You may have a better understanding of the learning needs of your child by attending these seminars.

Discretionary Places

% of places: not more than 30%
No. of secondary schools one can apply to: not more than 2

Central Allocation

Part A: Unrestricted School Choices
No. of secondary schools one can choose: a maximum of 3

Part B: Restricted School Choices
No. of secondary schools one can choose: a maximum of 30

The Education Bureau and other organisations hold seminars every year on the SSPA System in which experts are invited to share their views on strategies in making school choices. You may have a better understanding of the learning needs of your child by attending these seminars.